Notice how in a comic book, there are no speech marks when characters talk. Instead what they say is put in a speech ‘ebubbei’. However, if we wish to repeat or ‘report’ what they say, we must put it into reported speech.
Change the following sentences in the story to reported speech. The first one has been done for you.
(ii) Why is your face half-shaven?
Gopal's wife asked him _____________
(iii I accept the challenge, Your Majesty.
Gopal told the king _____________
(iv) I want to see the king.
Gopal told the guards _____________
Now ask your partner questions about each picture.
(i) Where is the stag?
(ii) What is he doing?
(iii) Does he like his antlers (horns)?
(iv) Does he like his legs?
(v) Why is the stag running?
(vi) Is he able to hide in the bushes?
(vii) Where are the hunters now?
(viii) Are they closing is on the stag?
(ix) Is the stag free?
(x) What does the stag say about his horns and his legs?
Complete the following word ladder with the help of the clues given below:
1. Mother will be very ___________ if you don’t go to school.
2. As soon as he caught ___________ of the teacher, Mohan started writing.
3. How do you like my ___________ kitchen garden? Big enough for you, is it?
4. My youngest sister is now a ___________ old.
5. Standing on the ___________, he saw children playing on the road.
6. Don’t make such a ___________. Nothing will happen.
7. Don’t cross the ___________ till the green light comes on.
Answer the following questions.
(i) Who is the speaker in the poem?
(ii) Is she/he afraid or curious, or both?
(iii) What is she/he planning to do soon?
(iv) “But not just yet …….” Suggests doubt, fear, hesitation, laziness or something else. Choose the word which seems right to you. Tell others why you chose it.