Write True or False against each of the following sentences.
(i) Indian joined the world of Test Cricket before independence.
(ii) The colonisers did nothing to encourage the Parsis in playing cricket.
(iii) Palwankar Baloo was India’s first Test captain.
(iv) Australia played its first Test against England as a sovereign nation.
“-------the men for wohom the world is a stage.”
(i) It refers to the famous cricket fields in the world.
(ii) It means that there are many cricket playing countries in the world.
(iii) It implies that cricketers are like actors and every cricket ground is like the stage on which drama of a cricket match is enacted the world over.
• Twelve words associated with cricket are hidden in this grid.
• Six can be found horizontally and the remaining six vertically.
• Clues to the hidden words are given below.
Horizontal : Six deliveries, four runs, attacked while out of areas, no result, stumps, fielder to the off side of the wicketkeeper.
Vertical : Stumps flying, back to the pavilion, a lofty one, midair mishap, not even one out of six, goes with bat.
Add-ly to the italicised word in each sentence. Rewrite the sentence using the new words. See the examples first.
• He runs between wickets as if his legs were stiff.
• Why did the batsman swing the bat in such a violet manner? Why did the batsman swing the bat so violently?
(i) It is obvious that the work has not been done in a proper way.
(ii) He made the statement in a firm manner.
(iii) The job can be completed within a week in an easy way.
(iv) You did not play in a serious manner, or else you would have won the match.
(iv) She recited the poem in a cheerful manner.
Use the following phrases appropriately in place of the italicised words in the sentences given below.
As a matter of fact
we had better
See to it
(i) Actually, I didn’t intent to come to your place. I reached here without planning.
(ii) Sunil, there’s a letter for you in today’s post. There’s one for me also.
(iii) Everybody thought I had composed the poem. The truth is my younger sister did it.
(iv) The doctor told the patient to make sure that he took his pills on time.
(v) It will be better for us to plan out trip before setting out.
Write two paragraphs describing a bus ride to watch a cricket match in a village. Using the following points. Add some of your own.
• Two-hour journey by bus
• an old and crowded bus
• Friendly passengers
• Visit to a village fair where the match is to be played
• the match between two village teams
• makeshift stumps, rough pitch and a rubber ball
• the match was enjoyable, but the trip was tiring