State the beneficial effects (or usefulness) of micro-organisms in our lives.
Microorganisms are used for various purposes such as:
● They are used in the preparation of curd, bread and cake.
● They are used in the preparation of alcohol, wine and acetic acid (vinegar).
● They are also used in cleaning up of the environment.
● In agriculture, they are used to increase soil fertility by fixing nitrogen.
● The antibiotics are manufactured by growing specific microorganisms and are used to cure a variety of diseases. Penicillin is an antibiotic made from Penicillium.
● Certain microbes are also used in the biological treatment of sewage and industrial effluents.
● Yeast is used in making idlis, bhaturas, bread, pastries and cakes.