What do you think were the advantages and disadvantages of enclosing agricultural land within the fortified area of the city?
Enclosing agricultural land within the fortified area of the city has both advantages and disadvantages.
• Enclosure of agricultural tracts, cultivated fields, forests and gardens ensured that the crops and other produces were not eaten or harmed by wild animals.
• It employed an elaborate canal system which not only provided irrigation to the agricultural lands but also met some the water requirements of the residents within the city.
• It ensured a steady supply of food during sieges when enemies would try to starve the defending fort cities into submission.
• The system was expensive and hence prohibitive for poor farmers.
• The farmers needed permission from gate keepers to reach their own fields which often led to corruption.
• Even though the agricultural lands were within the fortified city, it still lay on the outskirts of proper city zone. During sieges, if the fortification was breached, these lands suffered the most from the initial onslaught.