Critically examine Lord Dalhousie’s policy of annexation in Awadh.
Lord Dalhousie’s policy of annexation in Awadh created the following impacts as described below:
• Primarily it created disaffections in many areas of the country.
• Nawab Wajid Ali Shah was dethroned from Awadh and sent to Calcutta as a part of his exile, on the ground of bad governance in Awadh.
• All the people of the region suffered from grief, anger and desperation as if their life was taken out from their body after their beloved Nawab was taken away from them.
• There were also material losses beside this emotional effect.
• After the Nawab was sent to exile, the court system was completely demolished.
• Due to this, the regular workers of the court like the cooks, musicians, artisans and many others lost their livelihood.