Study the following phrases and their meanings. Use them appropriately to complete the sentences that follow.
(i) After a very long spell of heat, the weather is ________ at last.
(ii) We have no right to ________ people who do small jobs.
(iii) Nitin has always ________ his uncle, who is a self-made man.
(iv) The police are ________ the matter thoroughly.
(v) If you want to go out, I will ________ the children for you.
(vi) I promise to ________ On your brother when I visit Lucknow next.
(vii) ________ when you are crossing the main road.
Read the following sets of words loudly and clearly:
Cot — coat
Cost — coast
Tossed — toast
Got — goat
Rot — rote
Blot — bloat
Knot — note
Each of the following words contains the sound ‘sh’ (as in shine) in the beginning or in the middle or at the end. First speak out all the words clearly. Then arrange the words in three groups
In each of the following words ‘ch’ represents the same consonant sound this sound initially. Those on the right have it finally. Speak each word clearly.
Choose — bench
Child — march
Cheese — peach
Chair — wretch
Charming — research
Underline the letters representing this sound in each of the following words.
(i) feature (iv) reaching (vii) riches
(ii) archery (v) nature (viii) batch
(iii) picture (vi) matches (ix) church
● Notice the way Mr. Gessler speaks English. His English in influenced by his mother tongue. He speaks English with an accent.
● When Mr. Gessler speaks, p, t, k, sound like b, d, g. Can you say these words as Mr. Gessler would say them?
It comes and never stops. Does it bother me? Not at all. Ask my brother, please.
Speak to five adults in your neighbourhood. Ask them the following questions (in any language they are comfortable in). Then come back and share your findings with the class.
(i) Do they buy their provisions packed in plastic packets at a big store, or loose, from a smaller store near their house?
(ii) Where do they buy their footwear? Do they buy branded footwear, or footwear made locally? What reasons do they have for their preference?
(iii) Do they buy ready-made clothes, or buy cloth and get their clothes stitched by a tailor? Which do they think is better?
Look at the picture.
Let pairs of students talk to each other about leaving the country. One student repeats Ajit’s statement. The other gives a reason for not agreeing with Ajit. The sentence openings given below should be used.
● If I leave this country, I’ll miss _______.
● There are some things which you can get only here, for example _______.
● There are some special days I’ll miss, particularly _______.
● Most of all I’ll miss _______ because _______.
● I think it’s impossible for me to leave my country because _______.
● How can you leave your own country except when _______?
● Depends on one’s intention. I can’t leave for good because _______.
● Maybe for a couple of years _______.
Based on the following points write a story :
● Your aunt has gone to her mother’s house.
● Your uncle does his cooking.
● He is absent-minded.
● He puts vegetables on the stove.
● He begins to clean his bicycle outside.
● The neighbour calls out saying something is burning.
● Your uncle rushes to the kitchen.
● To save vegetables, he puts some oil on them.
● Unfortunately, it’s machine oil, not cooking oil.
● What do you think happens to the vegetables?